Monday, July 21, 2014

Bloggity Blog Blog Blog

You can spell so just write.  A friend of mine said that to me a while back and its kinda stuck in my head.  If we weren't dressed in 70s costume at a 40th, in the car park, after a few shandies it would've been a real Maya Angelo/Oprah moment. Thanks Emma.

My parents came to stay with us for a week to be here for my sons 9th Birthday.  His birthday is in Winter so Christchurch can be pretty chilly.  Me being the wonderful daughter that I am, decided to go out and get an electric blanket for the bed they would be sleeping in.  This isn't strictly true, actually if I'm being honest I just happen to pass a display of them at the Warehouse with a $39 sign and threw one in my trolley on the way up to the check out.  But whatever.
When I got home I figured I'd put it on the bed straight away, how hard could it be? Ummm...
First off I thought I had a faulty one cause it only had one control.  It was definitely a queen size but I guess when you spend $39 at the Warehouse it doesn't stretch to 2 controllers.
I laid the blanket on the mattress and then noticed the 3 ties which needed to be tied around the mattress in 3 places.  I think at this point the instructions should have written in bold letters 'Two person job' cause I nearly killed myself trying to keep my balance on the bed base slats whilst squished between the wall and trying to lift the bloody heavy mattress, and then to somehow throw each length of cord to the other side.  I looked like 'crouching hippo hidden Rhino'.  The mattress seem to get heavier and heavier with each passing minute.  I had visions of my family finding me in a very un-lady like position 8 hours later when they couldn't find the TV remote or where they put their shoe.  It was also once the ties were finally bloody tied that I realised the controller was on the opposite side of the bed to the wall socket.  Shit.  Luckily the cord was just long enough to stretch to the socket but it basically took the controller half way under the bed to get there.  I could just imagine Dad having to hold Mums legs while she stretched under the bed to turn it on each night.  By then I was at the 'too fucken bad' stage and chucked a fitted sheet over it and was done.
I explained the drama I had when they arrived, and thought maybe I should've provided a head torch for when they needed to start the controller finding expedition each night, but not 5 minutes later Mum comes out and says "I flipped the blanket over and re-tied it so its all fine now"  WTF Woman??!!  I couldn't believe what I was hearing? she did in 5 minutes what I couldn't in 2 hours.  She wasn't even breaking a sweat.  The woman is a machine.  I can only pray that those 'Super Mother' genes I hope I have inherited will kick in at some point in the near future.
Maybe I need to start taking those bloody Garlic pills she goes on about?!

2 comments:

  1. Holly Hinton is awesomeJuly 22, 2014 at 9:17 AM

    When I read this part "I could just imagine dad having to hold mums legs while she stretched under the bed to turn it on each night" I had to imagine that! And i have that image implanted in my head forever -.- not impressed aunty shelley not impressed.

    ReplyDelete