Friday, August 24, 2012

Mother Daughter Outrageous Fortune Time

 It was a gorgeous day in the Garden City today so what better way to spend an hour with the teenager than to head down to the mall and get a needle stuck through our nostrils or to put it more nicely we got our noses pierced.  Now I didn't plan to get mine done.  I was just going with her to sign the consent form but some weird mid life crisisy thing pinged in my brain and I thought 'Why the hell not??' its been a while since I've put some metal in my body and up til this point have enjoyed standing back and just taking photos while she does all that fun stuff instead.
In the car on the way there I suddenly had a moment of "am I too old for this?" so of course rang the bestie who still pulls off pink jeans and random cardies. I was sure she still had hers done and knew she would agree that this was one of my better plans.  She unfortunately informed me that no she doesn't have hers pierced any longer. Stink One. But then said "but everyone in India has it done" which gave me the push I needed to go through with the whole thing once more.
Its a funny thing this whole aging buzz.  The number freaks me out if I think about it too long but the saying "your only as old as you feel" is pretty true.  I really look forward to when we are all old and in retirement villages cause our generation and the ones that come after us are happy to put lots of ink on our skin and metal in our bodies and its just not a strange concept anymore.  I totally get that its not for everybody and that's cool too.  I guess for me Piercings are just holes that you put in your skin that if your done with them can heal over and tattoos as long as some decent thought has gone into them is a very cool and interesting way of recording something or sometime in your life forever. 
As someone who has dreads, tattoos and piercings I was never going to have an issue with my kids doing stuff like this and really like the individuality it creates.  A hairstyle or a mark on your skin doesn't define someones beauty.  Only your personality can do that.  I love that our society isn't as judgmental as it used to be although we still have some work to do but I optimistically and hopefully look forward to a world of even more creativity and open-mindedness for my kids kids kids to grow up in.

 

1 comment:

  1. Now I wanna get mine done again!! There will surely be nose bling to match my cardies??!!

    ReplyDelete