Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Two Things


There's two things I'm fast at.  And neither of them is Running.  The First is Reading.  Everyone tells me that and I believe them.  I can easily do 5 or 6 books on a good month.  Sometimes 2 or 3 books a week if I'm really neglecting my family.   It has a lot to do with the husband being away so much.  I can stay up until 2am if its a good page turner and hes not lying next to me moaning about the light being on or "your turning the pages too loud" blah blah.  The Second is Touch Typing.  I'm really glad I suffered through typing all my years at High School.  Remember learning on actual old school typewriters that the scraggy old teacher made you put a piece of paper over your hands so you couldn't see the letters and the 'a' was so far over you nearly dislocated your pinky trying to reach it.  We had to use twink or those little bits of twink paper which you typed over if you made a mistake.  So it took like 25 minutes to correct one word.  OMG am I 85? And then when the electric typewriters came in with the screens it was like technology was suddenly so freaken advanced.
Back to the running thing.  The husband always says to me "Don't run! if your in a hurry you can maybe pull off a slow jog but that's as far as you should take it".  He's right.  I have one of those really ugly Girl Runs.  I can feel the unco-ordination but I can't control it.  It's like I'm Usain Bolt trapped in Susan Boyles body.  And if I have a handbag or carrying shopping then sweet Jesus I'm pretty much channelling Frank Spencer.
I've never enjoyed running or any form of competition.  I always hated 'Tag' I would just rather stop and stand still.  I wasn't much fun to play that game with.
I also get quite antsy under pressure and I sux at directions.  Its a gift actually.  If I have a choice to go one of two ways I will always, with out fail, choose the wrong one.  Even if I think about that and choose the opposite of what I think i would normally choose.  It will be wrong.  I do this stupid thing where I try to second guess my GPS like its going to be wrong or something? Its not wrong.  The pressure thing I blame on my mother.  She used to count when I was a child.  1...2...3...4... to get me to do something.  I remember feeling like my brain was about to explode from the anticipation.  Like really what was I expecting to happen? Have you met my mother? Lovely doesn't come close.  Well played on the psychological mind games Lynne.   I bloody do it myself now to my kids!
I could never be a contestant on 'The Amazing Race' imagine the husband driving and me reading a map.  The producers would keep us on just for ratings.  The one time the husband made me drive in Auckland it ended in tears.  I need to know what lane to be in 40 minutes before we need to change into it not 5 seconds before the turn.  Trust me, shouting "TURN NOW TURN NOW!!!" when I am in the middle of 4 lanes of rush hour traffic is only going to result in me stabbing you with the tree shaped air freshener. Never again.


3 comments:

  1. You are such a scream Shelley. All your life I have known you and am now seeing a different side. You should write a book - it would be hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's like we're having one of our usual conversations when I read this except for once I am being silent and letting u get it all out hahahaa. lucky ur typing is fast espesh if we are having a 3way facebook convo with the vickster...perhaps all your running got trapped in ur fingers is all!

    ReplyDelete