Thursday, August 16, 2012

'Different' not 'Wrong'

I was having a conversation with the husband this morning about how far we have come in our relationship.  Anyone will tell you it takes a lot of work to have a successful one, success being the husband isn't smothered in his sleep.  It has taken many years for our little family to really Gel and compromise has been the best change I think.  It doesn't help having two strong personalities with kids attached suddenly all trying to work out where they fit in this busy new world.  I had survived perfectly well as a single parent with a girl child and girl cat Thank you very much.  So moving in with my best friend only to be told my way of folding towels was wrong or where in the fridge the butter should go was a hard concept to swallow. Being an anal Chef he actually labelled each shelf with vivid?! And one I fought against for a long time.  But he has since learnt to use the word 'different' instead of 'wrong'.  Example "Shelley you have a different way of folding tea towels from me" "Shelley you make the bed a different way" which saves a whole heap of head butting.
I have learnt it's just easier to fold the towels his way cause really I don't give a shit and if it makes him happy to have his t shirts folded in a certain way then happy days that's less washing to fold.
He has compromised on not freaking out about the power bill, due to how many loads I can do in the dishwasher in a day or how I like to have the lights on just for atmosphere or the fact that I like to turn my electric blanket on 6 hours before I need to go to bed.
I have learnt to not put his expensive knives in the dishwasher and he will eventually learn to take his suitcase straight to the bedroom when he gets home from his trips instead of leaving it in the lounge for 3 days.  He humors my OCD to keep my bench clear and just nods and smiles when new pets turn up.
There are just some things that suit some people to take care of and not others, like when we are going away I am in charge of shopping for the kids, packing the kids, sorting out the animals, packing for myself, making sure the house is clean before we leave and emergency numbers are written down.
He is in charge of packing himself and making a coffee before we walk out the door.  But say we were having a dinner party then he will slave away for hours creating every sort of kitchen amazing-ness while I have a shower, get changed and crank out a couple of chapters of my book.  See compromise.
Once you work out that you dig your partner for who they are and not what you want to change them into then life seems to take a much rosier outlook.
I think if the world compromised a bit more it would be a much happier place.  blah blah Pick and Choose your battles.  blah blah Don't sweat the small stuff.  blah blah but so true.



6 comments:

  1. Oh so true, compromise is the only reason we have lasted 42 years of married life but even after 42 years there are some things Brian still has to learn like I don't like having a conversation about how wonderful his cat is at 4am in the morning

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why does Sean have a Black Eye in the attached photo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well said Shelley!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If everyone had your attitude Shelley we wouldn't have so many single parents. After almost 45 years of marriage John still lets me make the bed my way. His way looks like a dogs breakfast. Having said that the same goes for the ironing, cleaning the bathroom, folding the washing and housework in general. What a mug I am. Haha. But I wouldn't trade him in for anything. It is so true Don't sweat the small stuff. It's not worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it and oh so true.

    ReplyDelete