Monday, April 15, 2013

No 1 Fan Girl


I have this mental disorder when ever I meet someone who has been on TV.  I'm not even talking big celebrities or anything, if they have been on anything even an ad,  my brain just can't cope.  I blame society and the Woman's weekly for unrealistic fame stigmas and I'm a total sucker for it.
The reason I'm thinking about how stupid I act when standing in front of someone famous is because this weekend I get to be bridesmaid at my besties wedding Wedding No 7 and she and her soon to be husband cavort quite regularly with people who have been on the box.  Which also means I will be standing up and doing a speech in front of those friends.  I'm getting hives thinking about it.  They tell me they are just normal people and my brain totally gets that but when I actually get to have a small moment with anyone slightly famous I turn into a 14 yr old girl standing in front of One Direction.  I get all nervous and say the dumbest shit in a stupid voice and as much as I say to myself "Play it cool Shelley" that's the exact opposite of what I end up doing. 
The conversation pretty much always goes like this:
Them: Hi, How are you?
Me: Gulp Oh my god you've been on TV????
Them: ahhh yeah
Me: No you have actually been on TV????
Them: Yip nervous laugh
Me: That's so cool, I've totally seen you!!! manic laugh
Them: Rigggght Thanks awkward silence
Me: still manic laughing, staring and bright red cause now I've got nothing else to say.
I think half the problem stems from my unrealistic expectations for myself.  Whenever I have got to meet someone awesome in the music industry, just before the meeting I think to myself...this time I'm going to be so funny and awesome that they will want to invite me backstage and hang out and be best friends forever?! Ummm yip its fair to say that due to my disturbing behavior that will never happen in my lifetime.
 I'm a 36 yr old woman who can quite happily meet and greet strangers on a daily basis, I can answer phones no problem, doesn't faze me to walk into a party and make conversation with new people so why oh why do I get my spaz on when talking to a famous person?!
Imagine if I ever got to meet someone super famous like Madonna OK chances are slim but pretty sure her security would be all over me pretty bloody quickly.

Tell me the most famous person you have ever met and were you cool or a spaz like me?




12 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cliff Curtis at housie in Pram. Came in to see his sisters, who were sitting with us. Anne got up to say Hi and introduced us. I was trying so hard to play it cool, I was probably rude!
      I actually think I might be the same type of Spaz reaction as you as I met the What Now Crew in Pram, when they put on the disco for KenaKena school after the fire. I tried really hard to play it cool, that I think I come across maybe a little "Odd".

      Delete
  2. I'm a spaz shelley, talked poos in front of someone I consider famous just this last weekend...good thing we have family that have to love us eh lol :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only imagine the stupid stuff that will come out of my mouth this weekend once I've downed a few glasses of bubbles! Cringe!

      Delete
  3. I have just re-read my blog and would like to put it out there that its my 7th wedding I'm attending this summer definitly not her 7th marriage!! Shes not Elizabeth Taylor or anything?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and "Miranda" are exactly the same only she burst into song! And she will sing the entire song even tho the people in question have walked away.... Think of them as the "person" you lived next door to....( not necessarily Julie.........!). Mind you the "famous" people love to be noticed so you probably make their day...Enjoy the wedding. Love Aunty K.

    ReplyDelete
  5. bwahhahaha the first thing I thought when I read this was 'jeepers I havent been married 7times' hahahaaa! glad you cleared the air on that one, also cant wait to see u get sweaty hands, turn red and cause an awkward silent moment bhwahhaaa IT wont be like that, you'll be cool.....if in doubt harness Miranda and start singing baby! xo see u soon

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely have the drunken confession problem... I can act all smooth and keep it together, holding witty intellectual conversation, until about glass 3 and then I'm all like "I have been your biggest fan for SOOOOO long, I can remember... blah blah blah". Waking the next day to not only a hideous headache but a serious cloud of SHAME hanging over me. (Side thought...I never did that at gigs I organised.. how does that work?!! MAYBE cause you're a star of the wedding party you'll actually be sweet?!)

    If that theory doesn't work-Remember they pee, poo, fart and dribble on their pillows just like Madonna and the rest of us :)

    Sam x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sam I feel much better all ready! And if I do make a complete dick of myself it will make a fab follow up blog for you all

      Delete
  7. If you're going to make a dick of yourself make sure we get photo follow up with the blog ;)

    ReplyDelete