Saturday, August 18, 2012

The 7 yr Old




Our Gorgeous 7yr old has been watching me sitting and typing away on my lappy over the last few weeks and is very interested in 'Mums Blog'.  He keeps hounding me "Where's the one about me?" he says over and over again.  So here I go...A blog about the son.
The thing about kids these days is they are such digital citizens.  He completely expects that any photo or video recorded on my phone will make it onto the Internet somewhere and is disappointed when that doesn't happen.  When I video him on his scooter, dancing to a song or jumping on the tramp he is completely capable of introducing himself and presenting what will happen next with relative ease and confidence.  He expects to be able to skype Dad no matter where he is and can google maps with the best of them.
I asked him what he would like me to say about him?  He wasn't sure?  I thought it might be best to ask him some questions.  He paused and then agreed that might be a good idea.
"So tell me what is your favourite thing to do?" "Play with Lego"
"How about fave colour?"  "Black"
"Animal"  "Zebra"
"If you could eat one thing for the rest of your life" "Ice cream" no hesitation
"If you were stuck on a desert island, what 3 things would you take?" "Cars, Lego and Ice cream"
"What do you want to be when you grow up?"  "Don't know" like mother like son..I still don't know
"What do you like best about school?" "I like seeing my friends and I like making stuff like bats"
"Whats it like having older sisters?" "Annoying!!!"
"Wheres the best place you've been on a plane?" "Probably Samoa cause it was really hot and we had our own private beach"
"If you had $100 what would you do with it?" "I would buy a pet.  A hamster and with the money left over I would buy another hamster for my friend"
"Where do you think you will live when you get older?" "I will live in Paraparaumu so I can see my Nana and Grandad and my cousins and I would sell pillow pets"
"Do you think you will get married?" "I don't know" he gets all embarressed when I ask stuff like this
"What do you think is the best bit about being a grown up?" "You can do anything you want"
Our son is one of those really nice kids, I'm probably a wee bit biased but the facts are he just is.  He is kind, funny and clever.  He loves school, sports, his friends and all of his family.  He is polite when it counts and a total goofball.  He has this face he pulls when he is hysterically laughing, which can't help but make me join him.
He has always loved animals.  He has two huge containers full of little plastic ones of every sort of species.  He's very attached to his soft toys and cannot cope without ALL of them on his bed to sleep with every night. the count to date is 26 I tried to put half on a shelf just across from his bed so he could still see them but have the other half of his bed back for stretching out and sleeping.  He was devastated.  Eyes welled up.  Chin was quivering.  Silent tears flowed.  The betrayal on his face when he looked at me was too much to bare.  "They will be lonely" he sobbed "They are scared of heights" he choked out.  All toys were put back.  The world was righted again.  Phew.  
We went to a movie once about some real life Cheetah cubs, my heart dropped when only 20 minutes into it the music started indicating something bad was about to happen "Mum lets go now!" he couldn't get out of there fast enough.  
When he was only about 3 and his goldfish died.  He spent a long time lying on his bed sobbing into his pillow.  Heart completely broken. 
He is also that kid who loves to dance and has no shame at school discos or in the middle of the lounge.  He will pull out some sort of river dance/hip hop/80's robot fusion and doesn't care who's watching.  He has just started loving scootering to school on his own in the mornings we live two blocks directly up from the school When I check he has got his jacket or hat he rolls his eyes and says in his most exasperated voice "when are you going to stop worrying about me?" Sorry mate I can't imagine that day will ever come
We are very lucky we get to watch this child grow up to be someone who makes this world a brighter place and are so happy to have a boy who makes us laugh loudly every day.  Keep on roking your uniqueness my son.  We like you a lot xx

2 comments: