Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Wilton Farm

My cat has Alzheimer's
One Dog needs Anger Management
The other dog has Kleptomania
My budgie has agoraphobia
and the chooks have unexpected carnivore tendencies.
and yet its all peace and love in our backyard.
Poor old Moon Goon she is coming up 18 (?) so is entitled to some senior moments.  I feed her and then 10 mins later she is miaowing round my legs like she hasn't been fed for days.  I just humor her and fill her bowl again, shes so skinny anyway I figure extra chow won't harm her.  Its kinda like when really really old people still smoke, is there any point in them quitting now? I say go down with a ventilator attached to your throat and an ashtray super glued to your wrist if it makes you happy.    Ugly but happy.  Awesome.  
My Starfish is such a cool but noisy dog inside our fence, she's a Jack Russell so barking comes with the territory but you take her out on a leash and she suddenly becomes a possessed nutbar.  She smells freedom and will do anything to get to it.  A leash to her is such a downer but unfortunately as she has got older '9' she has become pretty grumpy towards other 'nicely behaived' 'minding their own business' pooches out enjoying the sunshine.  Suddenly this little bundle of white will come hurtling across the road to scare the shit out of the dog and owner.  Shes all noise but she pulls off the part of Kujo pretty impressively.
 Rouge our gentle, needy, loyal English Staffy also has issues.  She is still in the puppy stage but closer to the end than the start not that she is aware of those expectations.  It all comes down to her being a chewer and her most favourite things to chew are always plastic or wood, nothing wrong with that except if its nothing of hers and everything of ours.  Because of this we have kept the hall door shut at all times to save the kids stuff from being devoured by her gorgeous jaws.  Slowly we are trying to trust her down the bedroom end of the house, its not really going to plan.  If she is completely supervised at all times then happy days but if the little minx sneaks away unnoticed until you see her tail standing straight up and she is running then you know to give chase pretty bloody quickly to save the dinosaur or barbie that is about to be lunch.  That tail thing gives her away every time.  Stealing food out of the chicken hutch or pinching plastic bowls out of the cupboard is always flagged with the tail up in the air.  Her most fav toy is a big blue 99 cent bucket.  Wish I knew that before I forked out for all those ridiculously expensive puppy toys.
 My Budgie Toby-Jug is another guy with some counselling required.  He can't cope with being out of his cage.  Freaks him out.  All that space to spread his wings just causes him no end of stress.  We open the cage and prise him off his swing or behind his mate the mirror and he will be straight back in before you can turn your back.  I blame the people who had him first.  I got him off Trade Me from this crazy flash house.  I guess money couldn't buy happiness for this budgie.  He accidentally got out of his cage straight after the earthquake and flew outside, I figured that was the last I would see of him but after a whole night out in pretty crap weather I found him sitting on my clothesline.  Grabbed his cage opened the door and he flew straight in.   I like to think that he enjoys watching all the mental-ness and noise that goes on in my lounge from the safety and comfort of his cage.


 My Chooks are devine.  Omelette and Quiche.  Watching them strutting freely around my little piece of Aotearoa makes me very happy.  Its chicken eutopia.  They can go where they want when they want.  They are big healthy looking girls who have a wicked taste for meat.  They will fight the dogs for bones and love nothing more than some cat food or dog roll.  The downside of these roaming dinosaurs is the amount of poo they leave behind everywhere but I figure that's a small price to pay for my glorious sassy girls.
  We are very lucky that all our animals get along so well.  My bliss on a hot summer day is sitting outside with the husband and a cold glass of cider listening to the kids far away on the tramp.  Moon sitting up on the table.  Toby hanging in the tree above. Star & Rouge soaking up the sun beside me on one side and the Chooks scratching around on the other.  Love Love Love

4 comments: