Friday, November 29, 2013

Its time to break the cycle

I think most people in their lives join a gym at least twice.  We've all done it, started off with high hopes and huge motivation for the first 2 weeks then any excuse becomes a good one.  Its cold outside.  I just ate.  I've got a headache.  My shoes give me blisters.  I've got no-one to go with.  and before you know it a month has gone by and your 'new' gym shoes are gathering dust in your wardrobe underneath your jandles and 2 rolls of wrapping paper.   I remember when I joined up for the local gym the first time. 17 yrs ago. just after I had my first baby.  I went in to get my program from a trainer and was expecting to be out of there within about half n hour.  Two hours later I'm a sweating, dry-retching mess.  When I went to leave, the perky, pony-tailed, Lycra-clad lady at the reception desk stopped me and asked me for my shoes. My brand spanking expensive new trainers.  I took them off and passed them over thinking maybe she wanted to check them out to go get herself a pair or something.  She whips out a Blue vivid and proceeds to write in large font my gym membership number all over them and then pops them in a cubby hole behind the desk.  Apparently these were my new Gym shoes just. for. at. the. gym! I didn't remember them telling me this piece of vital information when I signed my life and shoes away for the next two bloody years.  I had to walk home in my socks.  I never went back.  I kept paying and they got to keep my shoes.  I got to keep the baby weight.
So when our Teenager came and told us she had joined the Gym, we looked at each other and had a wee giggle behind her back.  A giggle that only old smug people with wise Gym life experience can utter.  Pretty sure we rolled our eyes as well.  Its been 2 weeks and her Gym shoes are still sitting outside her bedroom door in the exact position I threw them.  I asked her recently when she was going to the Gym again she replied in her best whiny voice "I've got no-one to go with?!"  *sigh its a slippery slope. 






No comments:

Post a Comment