Friday, December 6, 2013

The Ghost Mower of Tuahiwi

The beauty of living on an acre in the country is that you can mow your lawns whenever you want.  Today was a stunning 30 Degree day in Christchurch which then continued into a hot awesome summer night.  Sitting outside having some ciders after dinner,  I was enjoying the tranquil distant sounds of all my neighbours begin the chorus of cutting their grass.  I soaked it in until 9pm and then the temptation got too much and I jumped up announcing I too would join the chorus and get my lawns done on such a stunning night.  It all started brilliantly until about 15 minutes into the cut when I realised it was getting dark.  Quickly.  I had not taken into account my neighbours were all on their ride-ons and since mine had been sitting unconscious in the garden shed for the past couple of months, I had been going old school and using the normal electric one.  I sped up to a brisk speedy walk as the grass became harder to see where I was going or where I had been.  I think I mowed the same strip 3 times and missed a substantial area over by the sandpit and along the hedge.  I won't actually know until tomorrow just how bad it is.  It's a bit like deciding to cut your mates hair when your drunk.  Its not til the next day that you realise what a fucken stupid idea that was.  I started panicking as the night set in and I still had half a lawn to go.  I was imagining my neighbours now sitting outside with a cold beer shaking their heads. Rookie Mistake.  I was becoming the Ghost Mower of Tuahiwi.  I had night bugs smashing into my face and at one point I went to pick up a Dog Bone which turned out to be a big squishy dog shit.  Luckily I had my trusty gardening gloves on so I just chucked it to one side and kept on mowing.  I wasn't giving up until the lawn was finished, even though I had now no idea when that was since I couldn't see a bloody thing.  I can't even sit back now and enjoy the satisfaction of a freshly mown law.  I'll probably just have to do the whole thing again tomorrow.  Stink One. What a Dick!

2 comments:

  1. hilarious ... night bugs and squishy bones

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't even swear or the bugs would've gone in my mouth!

    ReplyDelete