Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Whats their story?

 

I read one of those funnies today which said “A bunch of my friends are coming over this evening to play on their phones” this made me laugh out loud for two reasons.  1 is that its funny! And 2 because we are those people!  Its terrible and so rude and I’m slightly embarrassed to admit it but we actually are those people.  Last time the husband and I were out for a liquid lunch, we had to force ourselves to put our iphones away and made a pact that we wouldn’t bring them out whilst we were making an effort to have some together time in public.  We were quite happy playing around on FB and checking emails etc but I had this out of body experience, where I was watching us from the other side of the restaurant and thought “those people are obviously so boring they don’t even have anything to say to each other.”  Which is completely the opposite of what I would want random strangers to think of us.  Perhaps I’m upping my social standing a tad, I’m pretty sure no random strangers think anything of us but if they did decide to play that game ‘what’s their story…’ (you know when you try and decide what other peoples backgrounds are) then I would want them to imagine we are Newlyweds who are Hillarious, Rich and Oh So Interesting. (surely your imaginary life in someone elses brain has got to be fabulous?!)




4 comments:

  1. You so are those people!!! I'm a bit of a nanna when it comes to smartphones, I have one but I dont care for it all that much, unless I am enthralled in a heytel battle with U of course, hoping that isnt while you're being newly wed, fab and rich with your man!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live with the master of this!! To the point that I am now anti phone Queen, especially in public for all the reasons you so eloquently cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read an article about missing out on our kids lives because we are playing on our phones! Its so true, yeah we take them to the park, but whilst they are playing we are checking facebook, texting, transferring money, paying bills and doing everything BUT playing in the park with our kids! My friend whose a midwife said that it breaks her heart these days when she delivers a baby and the mother, instead of cuddling the baby and chatting to it and checking its 10 fingers and toes, now gets out her phone, takes a photo and proceeds posts to facebook. Then answers all the questions and thanks all the well wishers, mean while baby is just ignored! Sad aye!

    ReplyDelete