Wednesday, September 4, 2013

My Girls

So I haven't really blogged since May and I was thinking about all the things that have happened since then.  Dam my future Altziemers (?) I can't think back that far.  But I do remember we got new Kune Kune Piglets in June.  This was after a long grieving period for our last wee ginger piglet, Ruby, who we lost at 4 months to a pretty shit house bacteria which gave her blood poisoning and died quite suddenly on our doorstep.
I was really missing the grunts and squeals of my little shadow and my Staffy was missing her mate too.  So I started trawling through Trade me to find our newest additions.  I decided to get 2 sisters this time so they would have company to cuddle up to in the cold winter nights.
These girls came from the West coast and were quite different straight away.  They lived inside for the first 2 months as the winter weather was pretty crap and it was a good excuse to have 2 very cute wee piglets sleeping inside in front of the fire, stealing the dogs beds.  I think my Staffy was a bit put out because they definitely stuck together and evicted her from any cosy spot she got to first.  These girls we have named 'Daisy Boo' (the black and white one) and 'Polly Wog' (the ginger one) but during the first few weeks I had moments of wanting to change their names to 'Kim' and 'Khloe' due to their very demanding and high maintenance behaviour.  It was like having puppies again.  I was up twice in the night letting them out to toilet train them, they would get into everything and were very loud when hungry or just wanted attention.  You would find me every morning round 5:30am in my dressing gown and gumboots with 2 tantruming, squealing piglets following me down to the back of the property to feed them their breakfast.  Then an hour later they would be back banging on the door and straight back asleep in front of the fire.  It was intense but very cool.
In the last couple of weeks the husband has made a fenced in area with an awesome cosy, straw bale castle inside their pig house, in which they now sleep every night.  Complete with single mattress.  They are able to wander and graze around our acre at their leisure and are still welcome inside during the day but at dinner time their gate is shut until its time for breakfast.  The husband has had to fence off his vege garden to keep them out and we are in the process of teaching them not to root up the soft ground.
They are growing really quickly, in two months they have easily doubled in size,  and always come running when they see us.  They can sit for treats and a scratch behind their ears makes them flop to the ground for a belly rub.  They are really good little lawn mowers and eat all our household scrapes and weeds.
I love seeing them asleep in the sunshine on my doorstep or in amongst the garden.
Kune Kunes are such characters, they have awesome personalities, soo smart and social but feisty and stubborn too. 
If your thinking about adding a piglet..or two...I say "Do it!"






No comments:

Post a Comment