Friday, September 28, 2012

Roses are Red Violets are Blue...

These are some poems I have written for different events.  I wanted to include them in my blog in case I lose the bits of paper they are written on.

The first was my bridesmaid speech at my sister and brother-in-laws wedding....
For Cushla
 
Once upon a time Girl meets Boy
They have a quick pash
O Joy O Joy
They meet again 
with years gone by
He asks for her phone number
She says "nice try"
Cushla is cautious of this tall blond dude
cause he had a girlfriend last time they were in the nude.

He asks her 3 times
he's a persistent guy
Cushla thought I might give him a try
She decides to give this eager man a chance
and third time lucky he scores a horizontal dance.

Since that date they're future has soarn
New bed, New fridge, First house with a lawn
A Cat and some Ants
and yet to be decided just who wears the pants?

Now they are planning a wedding with so much to do
and Simon god love him just doesn't have a clue

Vows and Flowers
Bridesmaids and Booze
Table Cloths and Tie Colours
its all good news.

The Beach and the skate ramp
we'll all dance to the band
This wedding will be amazing
and its all by your hand

Your a busy girl, but you've always got time
for a friend in need and a bottle of wine
Don't ever change please
we love you, your the biz
We know to share life with you
how lucky Simon is

Cushla I'm so proud to be part of your life 
and I know you'll be Simon's most fabulous wife

For Simon

Simon Simon where do I start?
The YMCA, Cashel St, the house at Broadpark
Our flats were all feral 
but we wouldn't have had it any other way
I still love every second of it to this very day

In the winter it was three to a bed
with Hedgehogs running underneath
and Rats overhead.
Mushrooms on the bathroom floor
and Stolen locks off a flatmates door

Broken noses from a steel cap boot
late night missions bought home lots of loot.

The power was never on and the dishes weren't done
but when we had a party everyone had fun

Simon your now officially my brother in law
but you've always been a huge part of world and so much more

So to finish I send you both love, sunshine and light
and I know your life together will be perfect and right.



The next was for another Sister-in-laws Hens lunch....

For Becky

Here we all are
At Becky's High Tea
Some might say "your way to young"
Others might say "finally!"

Shes Aunty Becky to my little clan
We are forever her biggest fans

Shes clever with colours and fabrics and socks
Did you see all the cute toys she made and sold in the shops

Jamie and Becky up a tree
K I S S I N G
First came Wainoni Rd and Sonny
Then the kids, Forfar St and Pocket Money

She has learnt to fold tea towels in the correct Wilson way
And to first read all the different brochures on Grocery day

Becky is also one of those busy working mums
By day she teaches our kids to read, write and do sums
But when the bell rings
Off she must flee
To pick up her babies and cook them some tea

Now the wedding gets closer and feels o so real
And vows and rings will seal the deal
They're tying the knot, they'll be in Wedded Bliss
She'll be a Mrs and no longer a Miss

Soon you'll officially be my Sister in law
One Wanny, Two Wanny, Three Wanny....Floor!

This warm, caring, generous girl
Who is strong and funny and clever;
Loves shopping, Beautiful things, wine and her babies
From the 20th, will be Jamie's forever.

And so to finish, I send you love, sunshine and light
And I know your life together will be perfect and right.



This last one I wrote for my Mums 60th Birthday...
I figured I couldn't get away 
without doing a poem for your birthday
Mum your usually the one in our family to do speeches
so I hope this one, your standard it reaches

Welcome to Mums Birthday Weekend
A woman we all love and on who I depend
A mother who consistently put toast under my nose
in an everyday hope to get me in my school clothes
Mum was amazing and bought all the best food
And even when we were ratbags
I don't remember her in a bad mood
We had trips to the river, the beach and the pool
No seat belts, No sunblock, No helmets, one rule....
Be home when the streetlights come on before dark
So we'd race on our bikes from the school or the park.
I remember her sitting with a smile or fear on her face
as she endured yet another ballet recital or stock car race.

Me and Dean are now grown and have our own families born
Mike, Tayla, Ems, Hols, Rose, Indy, Ben, Pippa and Sean
So now mum is an awesome Nana to seven
And those kids think your sent straight down from heaven
Lollies, chips, ice cream and jelly just to start
Sante biscuits and fruit cake all play their part.
You and dad are always first in line
to watch our kids and help them shine.
You sit through sports and dancing, nothings too hard
From concerts in the family room or climbing trees in the front yard.
Number 4 Coleman St is where we all belong
Just like how Dave Dobbyn sings "welcome home" in his song.

Your an Aunty, a Nana, a sister, a wife
I would be lost without you, your the light of my life
So to finish I send you love, laughter and light
And I hope all your wishes come true when you blow out your candles tonight.

6 comments:

  1. Tears! You are such a clever and kind soul xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. My talented daughter, I do so love your work

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should totally get one of your kids to put your Poem for your mum to music and turn it into a song!! Love your work Shelley!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ekkk got dust in my eye in the studio dammit! I have high expectations now lady for our wedding next year, no pressure hahaa! U can sing it too if ya like!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ps. I still have my bridesmaid speech for you on tatty paper in one of my drawers, always meant to write it out for you, perhaps I should get on to that!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work Shelley. Absolutely LOVE the one for your Mum. So true of Lynne.

    ReplyDelete