Saturday, January 5, 2013

Ours

 I'm sitting here watching my dogs sleep.  They do that a lot.  They like to do that where I stop.  Near me makes them happy.  It makes me happy.  That's the thing with having animals, they are unconditional, they don't need much.  Mine like food and their people.  So what about when the years fly by and suddenly I see that my first proper ever grown up pets, my dog Starfish is 10 years old?! and the one who rules the place, my Cat Moon Goon is 19! Realistically that means that probably in the next 5 years I may not have them anymore.  My brain doesn't completely get that.  Our world works because each of my animals plays there part.  We can't be without any of them.  So then what?  To put yourself out there to Love so much is to put yourself out to hurt pretty deeply when the time comes too i guess.  Would I give them up to save what is inevitably coming? Not for a second.  At times I feel like all I do is yell at my dog to shut up or move from under my feet or I'm too busy to give Moon that attention she wants but then all i have to do is look at them looking at me, following me, waiting for me and I feel that connection.  They love me anyway. They get me and I get them.  I get what stresses Star to the point where shes loud and aggressive to other dogs so I don't put her in that situation.  She is what we created.  Shes ours.  We're lucky.
Moon was mine before.  Before our Christchurch life.  When it was just me and the girl baby and our cat.  She moved with us. Lots.  She slept with us. Always.  She has put up with and sorted out more animals that came along.  Shes the boss.  She has my heart.
 Its cliche and cheesy but true.  Animals make you a better person.  They make you give a shit about someone other than yourself.  They make you love something more than yourself.  Its nice to know my family are loved and protected by more than just us.  My family has 30 legs.  I'm happy.



5 comments:

  1. Shelley I am sitting here reading your blog and Dad is asking what is the matter - the tears are pouring down my face - that is too much. Where did that come from my darling girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all watery eyed too, cause I totally get that and do that and agree 100%. I look at Alice and she looks at me and we both know so now we make time to hang out and appreciate. It's going to break my heart to prices when she goes but I wouldn't change the longest relationship I've ever had for anything.
    Being a part of your own pack is magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of you as well when I wrote that. I knew you would get it.

      Delete
  3. We've had but one dog that stole our hearts and unfortunately is now in the big playground in the sky. I will never have another as I dont know if I could survive losing another. The hardest thing Ive ever had to do was say goodbye to our boy :( Jacks been gone 3.5 yrs and I still think of him when I put the bone from the roast in the bin or if Im in the pet food aisle ... *tears. Steph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get that its so hard to put yourself out there to take on another dog when your still grieving for the one that's gone but maybe one day you might feel like you could put all that love into a rescue pup. There are soo many condemned pound dogs who need an awesome family and a second chance. Maybe that might be something you guys think about in the future? You obviously Loved Jacks and would be a wicked family for a dog who has a had a crap start at life x

      Delete